Monday, April 22, 2013

Fun with moving

The last time I wrote (TWO YEARS ago... my, how time flies when you are busy with toddlers!), I was a bit agitated with finding diabetes care in a new city. The big secret behind THAT post was that I was already pregnant with our second child, and it was super imperative that I find good physicians to be sure we were both healthy. After I called my doctor from the BDC, he made a few calls and opened the door for me to get in and see one of his rock star physician colleagues. A big shout out to Dr. Thomas Moore and his staff in San Diego. Thanks for a great experience!

Now, two years later, I am in the same boat AGAIN (although I am not pregnant). Due to my husband's job, we now live in the Fresno, CA area, which is about 6 hours away from our recent home in San Diego. Back to the not-so-fun-and-deductible-reaching drawing board of finding health care. Sigh.

This time around, I decided to try and find health care professionals ASAP after moving. After a great deal of research and yelp-ing, I had several appointments with different providers and after a few misses, I think I finally found a "hit" with a good diabetes doctor. Of course, this journey was not without its pitfalls. Finding babysitters to watch my 3.5 year old and 1.5 year old  in a brand new area was tough, finding the actual offices was difficult (thanks for the faulty GPS, not-so-smartphone!), and finding a compatible doctor was hard. BUT! I think we have a winner.

Sooooo....things seem to be happy on my end here. How about you? What have been your positive and negative experiences with finding good diabetes care? Any tips for finding a good doctor those who have just been diagnosed?

No comments:

Post a Comment