Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fun with lows

When I got married, I got a rude awakening. I always thought of myself as one of those lucky diabetics that doesn't "get weird" when I get low. It turns out that I do have some interesting quirks that come out when my blood sugar dips, which my husband pointed out to me.

Occasionally (not every time I am low) I get really quiet, or take a long time to answer a simple question. I  stumble over my words (probably because my tongue gets numb and tingly) and I have been known to laugh at random comments like a hyper third grader sucking helium. It is important to note that I don't notice when I do this, which is why I was surprised to discover this about myself.

I have never "freaked out" (phrase taken verbatim from one of my friend's parents..."Jeanette, I don't want you to freak out on me") and I am lucky enough to wake up when my glucose is dropping (it makes for some interesting dreams...whatever is happening in my dream changes to reflect a low blood glucose level...once I dreamed that my blanket turned into a blueberry pop tart, which is weird in and of itself since I only like strawberry pop tarts, and I ate my entire blueberry pop tart blanket but was confused because I was still low, which is when I woke up and ate a strawberry pop tart).

Anyone with diabetes or anyone that has a loved one with diabetes probably has some entertaining stories about being low. Let's hear them! Laughter is the best medicine.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh low blood sugars... my dad and I are both diabetic which has made our family life quite interesting. And much like you Jeanette- I really am unaware of how I act when I'm low- but I have some stories about my dad. I am now "grown and on my own" but once while I was visiting during college I heard a ruckus out in the hall late at night to find my mom in a panic about my dad. She said he was low and wouldn't eat. (My dad gets quite defiant when his blood sugar drops- which is VERY out of character for him). So I climbed up on the bed next to him - he argued with me for a while- I'd say "Dad, you should drink a bit of this delicious juice" and he'd say "Na- I don't want any" as he'd wabble his head the other way as if he was drunk. Then he'd ask how I was, or if I wanted some juice to which I'd calmly answer then I'd repeat the push to get him to drink... then he stopped- shifted his position and says "I really like your smile- you have nice teeth", funny thing is I had just had my braces removed and venears put on (which was cosmetic and came completely out of his pocket). "Thanks dad you paid for them" I replied and he paused pondering the comment - enough to get him to drink the juice. Then there was the time dad's sugars dropped low enough it turned into an emergency- paramedics- hospitalization- the works. On the way home from the hospital we were describing the story for dad and he (teasingly) asks "what, no helicopter ride". :) mom didn't laugh- but he sure did. Oh- the stories.

    ReplyDelete