Saturday, March 5, 2011

A bit about balance...

Balancing is not my strong suit. The only way I could ever ride a skateboard was by holding a jump rope while my brother pulled me on his bike. Slalom skiing was unsuccessful, and let’s not even talk about the unmitigated disaster that was the balance beam in gymnastics. I find it ironic, then, that I have a health condition that is so dependent on balance.
I have insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, which means that my body does not produce insulin. This means I have to test my blood and give myself insulin and try to keep my blood glucose levels hovering in a pretty narrow range. Too much insulin results in a low blood glucose level, while not enough insulin results in a blood glucose level that is too high.
Factor in food, exercise, stress, illness, and random acts of nature and the amount of insulin that works one day to keep glucose levels in check doesn’t work the next (a further explanation of how diabetes works will be posted later as a reference, for those who are unfamiliar with the nuts and bolts of diabetes). Some days it seems as though I merely pass through my target range and wave hello as I plummet down or shoot up.
Luckily, I have fabulous resources to help me track and monitor my health balancing act, and although I may occasionally wobble, I don’t fall. I need to be in control of my diabetes so I can do all the things I want to do, but I want to do everything without having diabetes be my primary focus. This blog is devoted to sharing my highs and lows (pun fully intended) as I strive for finding a healthy balance in my life with diabetes.


 I would love to hear your insights and reflections, from struggles to successes. Whether YOU have diabetes or someone you know and love has diabetes, I want to hear about your experiences as you  balance life and diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment